Subject: Re: Supporting sector size != DEV_BSIZE on msdosfs
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Trevin Beattie <trevin@xmission.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/26/2002 08:37:59
At 04:19 PM 6/26/2002 +0700, Robert Elz wrote:
>    Date:        Tue, 25 Jun 2002 17:23:46 -0700 (PDT)
>    From:        Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
et>

>  | Not sure about the 128 bytes, but the original (OLD OLD) format I thought
>  | had 256-byte sectors. Like the 180K version or something like that.
>
>Original floppies (as in floppies from when floppies were actually really
>floppy) were (mostly) 128 bytes/sector (there were "hard formats" and "soft
>formats" and all kinds of nonsense like that, and it was possible to make one
>sector/track if you really wanted).

Sure, I still have some of these for my 8-bit Atari.  But I was talking
specifically about disks used by DOS, in particular v3.3 and later.  I
think DOS disks were 360K when I first started seeing them, though I don't
recall what their sector size was.

In any case, if you do have a DOS-formatted disk with 128- or 256-byte
sectors, could you dump the boot sector so we can look at the BPB structure?

Trevin Beattie          "Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards,
trevin@xmission.com     for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."
      {:->                                     --unknown