Subject: Re: I/O priorities
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: None <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/24/2002 17:32:07
On Mon, Jun 24, 2002 at 11:13:00AM -0700, Artem Belevich wrote:
> 1.5.2 *does* exibit the problem. When I ran 1.5.2 kernel with "options
> BUFCACHE=50" on a machine with 512M of RAM the system frequently was
> unresponsive when there was a lot of disk activity. I played around
> with BUFCACHE setting and had to bring it down to ~20 in order to make
> system usable for interactive work.

I had to power cycle a machine a month or two ago because unresponsiveness
during load. I had a program (I think it was nm or objdump) that went
wildly out of control. It grabbed a huge amount of memory and then
started swapping like mad. After it started I never even got a vt510
that is hooked up to recognize me hitting the return key.

This is an extreme case, I'll admit.
      'Concerns about "rights" and "ownership" of domains are inappropriate.
 It is appropriate to be concerned about "responsibilities" and "service"
 to the community.' -- RFC 1591, page 4: March 1994