Subject: Re: Time to bump the default open files limit?
To: NetBSD Kernel Technical Discussion List <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/21/2002 18:09:13
[ On Friday, June 21, 2002 at 13:37:49 (-0700), Greywolf wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Time to bump the default open files limit?
>
> You realise that 64 is a soft limit; most processes are given reign to
> adjust that upward to whatever the hard limit is.

Indeed I do, which is the whole point here.  :-)

>  At startup time,
> wherever it makes most sense, all one needs to do is up the soft limit
> on a per-case basis.

It's not that kind of a soft limit though -- I think you have to change
OPEN_MAX if you're going to bump the default value for ulimit(nofiles).

> I don't know of too many machines (yeahyeahyeah, "just because you don't
> know of them doesn't mean they don't exist yada yada yada.") that only
> allow 64 (or fewer) descriptors as a hard limit; almost certainly, if
> they do, they're probably not suited for the purpose of being, e.g., a
> KDC.

I don't know of any unix or unix-like multi-user systems that only
allow(ed) 64 open files as as a hard limit (assuming you're talking
about the hard limit enforced by MAXFILES aka kern.maxfiles, since
that's the only hard limit w.r.t. open files).

--
								Greg A. Woods