Subject: Re: I/O priorities
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/21/2002 18:04:55
[ On Friday, June 21, 2002 at 16:39:35 (-0400), Gary Thorpe wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: I/O priorities
>
> I disagree. It would make perfect sense if the person were experiencing
> 'skips' while playing mp3's or some type of multimedia file which would be
> I/O dependant (I/O scheduling *would* be useful here and it probably should
> be done for things like this). However, the problem was with Xterm and not
> just any Xterm: it was an active process and yet it was causing page faults?

Apparently that specific problem wasn't with the active pages of either
the Xterm process or the Xserver process -- but rather with Xshm pages.

(personally I've never seen an xterm process in this state, even though
most of mine have enormous scroll-back buffers -- I've only seen it
happen with really enormous programs that require a huge RSS to
function, and I've only ever seen it in truly pathological and quite
rare scenarios, with otherwise properly sized systems that is, and UBC
has, if anything in my experience, only made things better and never
worse, though UVM certainly deserves some credit here too)

--
								Greg A. Woods