Subject: Re: Supporting sector size != DEV_BSIZE on lfs
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
From: Konrad Schroder <perseant@hhhh.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/20/2002 14:01:58
On Thu, 20 Jun 2002, Bill Studenmund wrote:

> I think we are talking 3791.

Okay.  In that case everywhere that LFS references d_secsize explicitly
(I'm thinking primarily of newfs_lfs) it is probably wrong :^) but "db"
then is supposed to mean "DEV_BSIZE" and you can forget everything I've
been saying about logical sector size.

> Also, to try and not start free-forming file system design, I've suggested
> (and Trevin is using) a design model that we want a revised kernel, when
> writing to a file system on a drive of sector size X (that was formatted
> on that disk), to use the exact same info format/file layout etc. as an
> old kernel (which would have to have had DEV_BSIZE == that sector size)
> would have used.

Yes, good.  "Disks are forever."

Thanks,
						Konrad Schroder