Subject: Re: Supporting sector size != DEV_BSIZE on lfs
To: Konrad Schroder <perseant@hhhh.org>
From: Trevin Beattie <trevin@xmission.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/20/2002 13:51:16
At 01:24 PM 6/20/2002 -0700, Konrad Schroder wrote:
>On Thu, 20 Jun 2002, Bill Studenmund wrote:
>
>> Kinda. DEV_BSIZE is still the size used in the buffer cache.
>
>Um.  Just so we're all on the same page, which of the approaches in PRs
>3790, 3791, 3792 are we talking about?  Sounds like you're talking about
>the 3791 case?
>						Konrad Schroder
>						perseant@hhhh.org

Those patches are *way* outdated -- circa NetBSD-1.2!

As I understand the way things currently stand, all block I/O done in the
kernel is handled by UBC in terms of DEV_BSIZE.  Device drivers handle the
conversion from blocks in the UBC to physical sectors.  This already seems
to be in working order for large sectors, so long (as Bill said) as the
values reflect an integral number of sectors.

What we're working on now is adapting file systems to support variable
sector sizes.

Trevin Beattie          "Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards,
trevin@xmission.com     for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."
      {:->                                     --unknown