Subject: Re: [RFC] Interface to hardware-assisted data movers
To: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
From: None <itojun@iijlab.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/20/2002 08:59:21
>The following outlines an API for using hardware-assisted data movers.
>Included in this category are hardware devices which can do:
>
>	- block clear
>	- block fill
>	- block copy
>	- multi-stream XOR
>
>The eventual goal is to use this to accelerate the XOR operation for
>RAID.  Userland access to the devices will also be provided by a
>/dev/dmover device.
>
>Comments are appreciated.

	it looks to me the API could be used for block ciphers (and crypto
	accelerators) too.  so we may be able to provide:
	- fill region by random number (easy)
	- block ciphers, like DES/AES/whatever
	one issue is, with the latter, how to pass keys from clients to dmover,
	and how to manage keys configured into the crypto cards within dmover.

itojun