Subject: Re: patch for wscons scrolling
To: NetBSD Kernel Technical Discussion List <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Andy Isaacson <adi@hexapodia.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/17/2002 15:16:15
On Mon, Jun 17, 2002 at 03:01:06PM -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> [ On Monday, June 17, 2002 at 12:52:32 (-0500), Andy Isaacson wrote: ]
> > Subject: Re: patch for wscons scrolling
> >
> > On my laptop (Vaio 505), the FreeBSD console scrolling keystrokes
> > require me to hold down a key labelled "Fn", then press "NumLk",
>
> Presumably on your keyboard the combination <Fn-NumLk> == <ScrollLock>
>
> > then
> > use up-arrow and down-arrow to scroll.
>
> Hopefully whatever the PgUp and PgDn key equivalents are on your
> keyboard also work to move page at a time....

Sorry, I was unclear.  Since this thread is annoying me on the list, I
figure I'll take it to private mail.

I press the Pg{Up,Dn} "keys" by holding Fn and using the arrow keys.
The ScrLk key is Fn-NumLk.  Hitting Fn-NumLk is a pain, because I have
to search for both keys visually (NumLk especially, as it's just one of
the row of identical keys above BackSpace).

The OpenBSD scrolling mechanism is ever so much more convenient, because
I can hold down Fn and Shift with my index and ring fingers, and press
Up and Dn with my middle finger.

If I were using this on a real 101-key keyboard, I might actually be
able to handle the FreeBSD method, but the only machine I have FreeBSD
installed on is my laptop, so I've grown quite a visceral dislike for
this scrolling method.

-andy