Subject: Re: Adding to KNF.
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/17/2002 14:44:14
[ On Sunday, June 16, 2002 at 11:12:25 (-0700), Jason R Thorpe wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Adding to KNF.
>
> On Sat, Jun 15, 2002 at 03:23:11PM +1000, Darren Reed wrote:
>
>  > What I'd like to suggest is that in going forward, we adopt some changes
>  > to the KNF that require people to at least put more text in a comment
>  > block prior to the function.
>
> If we're going to do something like this, then I suggest people take
> a look at doxygen (which can generate manual-type documentation from
> marked up comments in source files).

For a unix-like system I think Wietse Venema's "mantools" as used in
Postfix are a far superior way to do manual-type documentation markup in
source files, possibly with some minor tweaks to better support the
-mdoc macro package.

The less "markup" goo the better -- "standard" section titles can serve
as their own markup hints to any decently intelligent extraction
programs, and Wietse's tools show that the whole thing can be
implemented in basic shell, awk, and sed, with its own full internal
documentation, in just over 3000 lines.

(doxegen seems best only for WWW developers....  :-)

--
								Greg A. Woods