Subject: Re: patch for wscons scrolling
To: David Ferlier <krp@freeshell.org>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@baesystems.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/14/2002 16:49:07
On Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 07:05:57PM +0200, David Ferlier wrote:

> Ok, so everybody want two ways of scrolling ?

Judging from the last two or was it 3 times this was discussed, the
cats went in all directions.  Everyone wants something different.  The
people who were proposing the added functionality just got battered
until they gave up.

> I like both, but the hold screen + Pgup/down needs some more hacks cause once you holded the screen, you need to verify that wskbd_translate won't send two times the PgUp/down keycodes. That's not a problem, but it would be reasonable to chose only one method to scroll (anyone will suit).

I would suggest you do the following, as long as they are not too
difficult:

1) make the scrollback optional so that people who want to whine about
kernel bloat can option it out.
2) Support both styles (holdscreen and or special key combos)
selectable by an option (either flag or kernel option)
3) make the keys that perform the action configurable but set a
reasonable default that will cover the bulk the keyboards out
there... acknowledge that this will piss some people off but you WILL
NOT be able to satisfy everyone.

If you need help to put this into the kernel officially then I will do
all I can.  Personally, I feel that we have been lacking this feature
for a long time and have been aghast that the previous times this
proposal has been floated the poor guys doing the proposal have been
picked to death by a minority who did not like the particular keys
used or were afraid they would not have enough memory to support it.
I see neither of these as being valid reasons for the code not to go
in - being flexible in the configuration is the answer to both of
these issues and unless someone comes up with some better technical
reasons I suggest the keys used be specified as "user configurable
with port specific defaults" and be done with it.  Accept the fact
that there are some freaky keyboards out there and move on.

--
Brett Lymn