Subject: Re: patch for wscons scrolling
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: David Ferlier <krp@freeshell.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/14/2002 00:41:04
Ok, i tried to carefully read all the mails of this thread.

As a result, i think that what "der Mouse" said is much more important than the question of which keys should activate the scroll : the code should run on any keyboard. We can't be sure every keyboard has pgup/pgdown (by reading the thread, nobody fully agrees).

So why not handling as the majority proposed : Hold Screen is a on every keyboard right ? so as wskbd_holdscreen is called by this key from wskbd_translate (and therefore an integer is or'ed with MOD_HOLDSCREEN), we can check the state of hold screen with MOD_ONESET : if it is holding the screen, no pb, every UP/DOWN key scrolls up/down the screen from a settable number of lines. But the keycode is never sent to the terminal, so it is never echoed. Others keys are echoed normally.

So combination is HoldScreen + Up/Down, which is on every keyboard (if it's not, we can specify which ksym activates it) : that solves the main problem of portability across platforms.

Does it look correct ?

(i surely made some grammar or vocabulary faults, sorry ;-)

--

Run NetBSD    - www.NetBSD.org
David Ferlier - krp@freeshell.org