Subject: Re: patch for wscons scrolling
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/13/2002 19:52:10
[ On Thursday, June 13, 2002 at 14:41:48 (-0400), der Mouse wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: patch for wscons scrolling
>
> It seems rather silly to throw away one of wscons's major features -
> uniformity across multiple platforms - by making something as useful
> and conceptually portable as scrolling work only one on particular
> platform (a popular one, but still just one).  (I've never seen a
> non-peecee keyboard with PgUp/PgDown keys.)

My Sun type-4 keyboard has "PgUp" and "PgDn" keys.

Sun type-5 keyboards look very much like PC keyboards to me on first
glance, though I don't have one to compare directly with.

My NCD HMX N-108LK (which I doubt will ever run NetBSD, but that's
another discussion! :-), which is very much a clone of the DEC VT220
keyboard, has "Prev" and "Next" keys in the logical place where page
up/down keys would be.

My DECstation keyboard, also very much like a VT220 keyboard, has page
up/down keys too.  The same keyboard supposedly works on my VAXstation
too.....

Indeed I'm having a hard time trying to remember any workstation (aka
wscons-capable desktop/deskside machine) that doesn't have something
very much equivalent to page up/down keys.  Even all the async "dumb"
terminals I've used in recent decades have such keys.  The only
exception has been my TTY-5620DMD terminals, which are very smart async
bit-mapped display terminals, and they use a relatively standard
Teletype Corp. keyboard built around 1983 (though the "home" and "end"
keys could have been assigned page up/down functionality).

--
								Greg A. Woods