Subject: Re: Supporting sector size != DEV_BSIZE
To: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/12/2002 21:05:15
    Date:        Mon, 10 Jun 2002 18:07:42 +0100
    From:        David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>

  | Of course 'du' is confused further by some bods at SCO who changed
  | it (probably between UW2 and UW7) to count 'file size' instead
  | of 'space taken up by file'.

That is historical du from way back.   Other than reading the raw
filesys, there was no other way (nor for ls -s).  I saw some versions
of du that attempted to compensate for the indirect blocks, etc, by
calculating how many a file of that size simply had to have, but holes
were never handled properly.

It was only when the di_blocks stuff got added (really as a side effect
of the disc quota code, but so useful and cheap that it was enabled all
the time, not only with quotas) that making du & ls -s work "properly"
became possible.

kre