Subject: Re: Supporting sector size != DEV_BSIZE
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Trevin Beattie <trevin@xmission.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/10/2002 13:53:32
At 12:02 PM 6/10/2002 -0700, Greywolf wrote:
>Question:  Is it legal to make a bsize:fsize of 1:1?
>[never mind the ramifications of doing so; just wanted to know if it was
> permissible under our FS.]

I haven't tried it yet myself (though it would be trivial to do so), but as
far as I've seen in the code and documentation, it is certainly possible.
bsize can be either 2^0, 2^1, 2^2, or 2^3 * fsize.  I think the papers I've
read on FFS have said that they found 8:1 was the most efficient ratio,
mainly because of the savings in the number of block pointers for large
files.  But I'm sure there may be valid reasons for using a 1:1 ratio too.
(Maybe a large sector size and very small average file size?)

Trevin Beattie          "Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards,
trevin@xmission.com     for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."
      {:->                                     --unknown