Subject: Re: FFS reliability problems
To: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/10/2002 08:02:38
# ps: to Greywolf and der Mouse - even if it were my place, and it isn't,
# I wouldn't really object to adding a -z flag to fsck to make it act
# dumbly - after all, it is just more code bloat, and I know the two of
# you are never bothered by any of that

1.  I do NOT favour "Code Bloat" in the gratuitous sense.  One of my key
    thoughts is that "cheapness of disk space, disk speed, cpu speed and
    RAM are *not* excuses for shoddy programming."  I'm kind of surprised
    to hear you say that I'm not bothered by Code Bloat.

2.  The fix for this is, in comparison to the code already there, trivial.

3.  I'm not advocating that it be the default.

4.  The only reason I might support anything that resembles "Code Bloat"
    is when a paradigm shifts in such an egregiously horrible (horribly
    egregious?) way that I think that the resulting usage should be made
    OPTIONAL, so that if people want to run a program (set) that is now
    actually broken (but we want to pretend that it's just redesigned and
    we're using a new, improved paradigm), the people who think the old
    way works just fine can continue along that path.

# ...    Making it the default I
# certainly wouldn't like, but if it isn't the default, it also isn't
# really very useful, as no-one will think of turning it on until just
# after the one crash where it might have actually saved something really
# worth daving.

You know, although technically it's not very sound, that's actually
psychologically very VERY insightful!  Many people forget that it's
the other non-technical mental stuff that makes a good sysadmin...

				--*greywolf;
--
NetBSD: the power to swerve (penguins, worse than cane toads).