Subject: Re: FFS reliability problems
To: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/09/2002 18:36:20
On Sat, 8 Jun 2002, David Laight wrote:

> > Well, yes.  NFS is supposed to be stateless; you are supposed to design
> > your file handles in such a way that their validity survives anything
> > that commonly happens to your server - or at least, anything that
> > commonly happens to your server that you don't want clients to have to
> > remount the filesystem because of.  Reboots are probably the commonest
> > example.
>
> True - now sort out how to export:
> - FAT filesystems
> - overlay mounts

Uhm, what's the problem for layered file systems? When I was at NAS and
developed overlay mounts, we exported them all the time.

The trick to getting the mount point the same is have all the mounts in
/etc/fstab. That way they get mounted in the same order, so their mount
ids are the same. Look at how the code works now.

Take care,

Bill