Subject: Re: Sound from several programs
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Julio Merino <jmmv@hispabsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/09/2002 00:28:39
--17pEHd4RhPHOinZp

On Sat, Jun 08, 2002 at 06:20:26PM -0400, Brian A. Seklecki wrote:
>=20
> I think that's what the ESD (check pkgsrc) is for.  ESD aware apps open a
> TCP socket with the ESD Daemon who in turn mutiplexes /dev/dsp or
> /dev/audio

Yep, ESD does this, as well as kde's artsd. Although, afaik some sound cards
support hardware multiplexing, much better than software one. (esd does some
ugly things).

jmcneill has told me about the devvp branch, which should "solve" the probl=
em
of opening the same device several times. Although, we would need software
multiplexing in audio(4).

Thanks though.

> On Sat, 8 Jun 2002 @ 11:11pm (+0200), Julio Merino wrote:
>=20
> JM> Hi all
> JM>
> JM> I'm wondering if it's possible to play sound from several programs at=
> JM> time, using the same /dev/dsp. Everytime I try it from the second pro=
gram,
> JM> it fails as it can't open /dev/dsp.
> JM>
> JM> Is this possible, or is this a problem with the drivers? Can it be fi=
xed?

> JM> I think that linuz's alsa drivers can do it.
> JM>
> JM> Thank you.
> JM>
> JM> --
> JM> Of course it runs NetBSD - http://www.netbsd.org
> JM> HispaBSD member - http://www.hispabsd.org