Subject: Re: FFS reliability problems
To: NetBSD Kernel Technical Discussion List <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/08/2002 00:53:09
[ On Friday, June 7, 2002 at 20:22:22 (+0100), David Laight wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: FFS reliability problems
>

> > 	fd = creat("my_precious_temp_file", 0600);
> > 	unlink("my_precious_temp_file");
>
> Even after the unlink, it might be possible for (say) NFS to
> access the file by guessing a file handle (ie inode number and
> use count)......

If you're using NFS and people are guessing your file handles then
you've got even bigger problems on your hands than worrying about them
accessing your temporary files (unless maybe the one in question is
/etc/ptmp :-).

Don't use NFS anywhere near anything that has to be "that secure"!

--
								Greg A. Woods