Subject: Re: FFS reliability problems
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/07/2002 11:09:57
On Fri, 7 Jun 2002, Greywolf wrote:

> On Fri, 7 Jun 2002, Bill Studenmund wrote:
>
> # If you don't want the data to stay on disk, then you have to make sure
> # they never hit the disk. If you really don't want the data to hit disk,
> # then you should arrange things so they never GO to disk.
>
> mfs sounds like an appropriate place for this...

Maybe.

The mfs backing process won't get swapped out? Would these data hanging
around in swap be too risky?

If we're worrying about a file coming back because the machine dies before
we can overwrite on-disk data, we are entering a high-paranoia realm.
There are LOTS of things we need to think about in such a space, and a lot
of precautions we should take. :-)

Take care,

Bill