Subject: Re: FFS reliability problems
To: NetBSD Kernel Technical Discussion List <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/07/2002 21:37:16
    Date:        Thu,  6 Jun 2002 12:46:03 -0400 (EDT)
    From:        woods@weird.com (Greg A. Woods)

  | I agree with you, but I'm not so sure I agree with Thor.

I do.

  | While
  | obviously a file with no directory references is probably intended only
  | for temporary data, I'm not sure fsck should make such an assumption,

Of course it can, because that's what the application is telling it.
If an application unlinks its temp file, the application (the app's
author) is indicating "this temp file is trash, there's no use at all
recovering it if the application crashes or the system does").

If the application is unlinking temporary files which could be usefully
recovered, then the application is broken, and that's where the fix
should be applied, making fsck do dumb things to compensate is just
plain wrong.

kre

ps: the other argument made for this "I just removed a valuable file that I
know is open in this application, but which has no way to save the file, so
I'm going to push RESET and then fsck will make the file come back" is just
so ludicrous as to not be worthy of any comment at all.