Subject: Re: FFS reliability problems
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/05/2002 09:32:10
--+SfteS7bOf3dGlBC

On Tue, Jun 04, 2002 at 10:33:24PM +0200, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> But in this case you won't have the box reboot and let it run fsck.
> Yoy will boot single user and play with fsdb.
> fsck is the wrong tool for this.

I have a feeling trusting a clean boot to single user and fsdb(8) to
make your world okay will lose, depending what our unmount(2) does.
(No, I haven't checked. Yes, I should have, but I'm at work right
now.)

So then, we're back to punching the reset button, after which you
probably can't even get / mounted without a fsck(8). fsck(8),
therefore, should really not destroy data I want to recover using
fsdb(8).=20

--=20
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net