Subject: Re: config(8) enhancements
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/05/2002 09:29:40
On Tue, Jun 04, 2002 at 12:42:08PM -0700, Greywolf wrote:
  | I must not be fully understanding the order of parsing of a config file;
  | if you put sd0 after sd*, won't the wildcard be picked first?

`It depends'.

When I was testing a new puc card in an i386 machine, I had the
following config entries:
	puc*    at pci? dev ? function ?
		# [ ... ]
	com*    at puc? port ?
		# [ ... ]
	com0    at isa? port 0x3f8 irq 4
	com1    at isa? port 0x2f8 irq 3
	com2    at isa? port 0x3e8 irq 5

I still got com0 & com1 on the isa card, and com2..5 from the puc,
even though the puc was probed before the isa cards.

However, in my pc164 alpha, with a similar config, the puc got
com0..3, the serial console ended up on com4 and com5 was the second
on-board port.  I think I tried listing the puc entries after the
isa entries but I can't recall the effect of that.

I need to look further into this particular behaviour (which is
orthogonal to my proposal).