Subject: Re: FFS reliability problems
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/04/2002 16:40:42
>>> But understandable, since an unreferenced file with zero link count
>>> is usually a file that "doesn't exist" as far as the filesystem
>>> namespace goes, referenceable only by processes that have it open
>>> somehow.
>> But that doesn't mean you don't want it. (Cf, huge file,
>> accidentally rm'ed, but still open in some application.  You want
>> that file. Badly.)

Actually, in this case you want an fdlink() or ilink() syscall.

> fsck is the wrong tool for this.

fsck_ffs is brought into it largely bceause it's the tool that does the
damage if the machine crashes with that file open-but-unlinked; it
throws away potentially valuable data.  An option to make it not
destroy the data in that case doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign