Subject: Re: config(8) enhancements
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/04/2002 12:42:08
On Tue, 4 Jun 2002, der Mouse wrote:

[that I wrote]
# > I see a problem with this right off.
#
# > I like to hard-wire my devices.  If we have a GENERIC which is
# > included as Simon points out below, what does one do about it?
#
# Guess why Luke isn't doing "no" as applied to device lines yet. :-)
#
# > no sd*
# > no st*
# > no cd*
# > sd0 at scsibus0 target 0 lun 0
#
# Why the "no sd*"?  Do you not want the wildcards to pick up any devices
# you haven't explicitly configured?

I could re-add them after sd0, I suppose, but see below...

#
# If you don't mind unconfigured devices showing up on high unit numbers,
# you can just include GENERIC and then add your explicit configuration
# lines and everything should Just Work.

I must not be fully understanding the order of parsing of a config file;
if you put sd0 after sd*, won't the wildcard be picked first?

				--*greywolf;
--
NetBSD:  the OS WORM -  Write Once, Run Many.