Subject: Re: Supporting sector size != DEV_BSIZE -- patches
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/04/2002 02:49:05
> What do we do about media that can have really wacky sector sizes
> (such as CD-ROM devices which purportedly support 2136 bytes/sector
> or some such oddness, I forget the actual size)?

This sounds as though you're talking about CDDA.

CDs have, effectively, a physical sector size of 2352 bytes (44100
samples/sec * 2 channels * 2 bytes/sample/channel / 75 frames/sec).  (I
believe the physical sector is a little larger because of stuff like
the subchannel info, but it's 2352 data bytes.)  For data tracks, 304
bytes are used for ECC bits, for an effective data sector size of 2048
bytes - but for digital audio, all 2352 bytes are audio data.

If you have a drive that can rip audio tracks, it can be put into a
2352-byte-sector mode....

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign