Subject: Re: Supporting sector size != DEV_BSIZE -- patches
To: Trevin Beattie <trevin@xmission.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/03/2002 19:23:16
On Mon, 3 Jun 2002, Trevin Beattie wrote:

> At 11:51 PM 6/3/2002 -0000, eeh@netbsd.org wrote:
>
> >The two ways I would recommend trying to tackle the problem would be
> >either fix the buffer cache so it can handle different block sizes for
> >different devices, or enhance the disk driver to do whatever it needs to
> >so transfers in DEV_BSIZE increments can be converted to native device
> >block sizes.
>
> I personally prefer the latter approach, as it appears (from a few tests)
> that we're already doing that.

Well, that's (almost) what Chuck chose to do. And since he was willing to
do most of the work, that's what we decided to go with.

Specifically I think what Chuck is doing is Koji Imada's case 4.3.2.

> Come to think of it, the only driver I've really tested at this point is vnd.
>
> >Fixing the buffer cache is definitely the better way to go.  But since
> >DEV_BSIZE is so ubiquitous throughout the kernel, this is no small task.
> >
> >Chuck Silvers mentioned he wants to address this issue some time.  You
> >might want to send him some email to see what his thoughts are.
>
> I thought he was on the mailing list?  Guess I shouldn't assume.  Maybe
> that's why I haven't seen a comment from him...

Chuck is both on the list, and Trevin has been contacting him (and me :-)
in private EMail.

I expect Chuck is just busy with real life. :-)

Take care,

Bill