Subject: Re: arc4random(9)
To: None <itojun@iijlab.net>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/29/2002 10:59:58
On Wed, May 29, 2002 at 11:52:12PM +0900, itojun@iijlab.net wrote:
> >I understand your position, but I think the name is honestly a very
> >bad one.
> >What if we worked to get FreeBSD etc. to change the name, too?
>
> 	i think it too late, just like good old "CREAT instead of CREATE"
> 	example.  it is way too widely deployed, it's not only for BSD but also
> 	in tons of thirdparty softwares, like pipermail, linux PAM, linux ipsec,
> 	apache2, and more.

There are lots of functions we do not supply in our libc that Linux does
supply; I'm not sure I buy this argument for the userland version of this
code.

I'm not sure I grasp how use in the linux kernel is relevant to use in our
kernel.  For example, the Linux IPsec will *never* run in our kernel (it
hardly runs in the Linux kernel), so I think that that's a total non-example.

Anyway, at this point I'm more concerned about the code itself.  I still
think it probably leaks key bits after it reseeds.