Subject: Re: arc4random(9)
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Matthew Mondor <mmondor@gobot.ca>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/26/2002 13:34:04
On Tue, 28 May 2002 15:36:34 -0700
Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com> wrote:

> On Wed, May 29, 2002 at 07:20:29AM +0900, itojun@iijlab.net wrote:
>
>  > 	or, call this wrapper random() and retire truely-crappy random()
>  > 	in the kernel.
>
> We could do that, although being able to predict the output of random()
> is necessary in some testing/research scenarios.

I agree, it can be useful to have a simple pseudo-random generator, for
use in situations where we only want shuffled, almost even distribution
among elements of a set, or the like, in a non-sequencial manner, and want
the function to be very fast... Of course this function would have to not
cause confusion with any better random generator intended for secure or
cryptography use...

Matt