Subject: Re: FFS reliability problems
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/20/2002 18:31:40
    Date:        Fri, 17 May 2002 17:47:15 -0400 (EDT)
    From:        der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>

  | I've now done the tweaks to fsck_ffs; I added -z which tells it that
  | when it finds a file with zero link count but non-zero size, it should
  | link it into lost+found instead of torching it.

Is that really going to help?   You're either going to have to use the
option every time (in which case, why is it optional?) or it will be too
late, the standard fsck after reboot will already have cleaned up all this
junk.

If you leave it enabled all the time, I suspect you'll get inundated
with all the junk files that you really didn't want to reappear being
relinked after every unclean shutdown.

Much better would be to simply fix the broken application that is leaving
some kind of important data in unlinked files.  That's insane (next someone
will be asking for a way to recover files from an MFS /tmp if the system
crashes when something they considered important was sitting there...)

kre