Subject: Re: Increasing SHMMAXPGS
To: Soren S. Jorvang <>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/20/2002 11:11:03

On Sun, May 19, 2002 at 11:52:35PM +0200, Soren S. Jorvang wrote:
> On Sun, May 19, 2002 at 06:46:05PM +0100, David Laight wrote:
> > > Yes. SHMMAXPGS should be nuked from orbit -- it should dynamically
> > > size itself. (We should also somehow garbage collect segments that are
> > > no longer associated with running processes.)
> >=20
> > I have a horrid wisper of a memory that they are required to
> > stay lurking....
> But we could at least make segments whose creator crashes go
> away, as per nasal demons, which I think would go a long way
> in practice.

The creator is allowed, and sometimes supposed, to go away.
shm is a volatile filesystem.

Now, what is really missing is a compiled tool for the admin to look
at defined shm segments, and clean them up if need should be, just like=20
cleaning up /tmp periodically.

I think SunOS has one...=20

seal your e-mail:

Comment: For info see