Subject: Re: FFS reliability problems
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/19/2002 13:47:33
> If it was deleted, why would someone want to recover it after a crash ?
> If the machine didn't crash, this file would never have been seen again.

Maybe that was exactly why the machine "crashed"?

I'm sure the reset button has been pressed more than once seconds
after an "oh shit" moment with the rm command.  While this might
not really be the best of recovery methodologies, the pain it causes
could just be less than other possibilities.

If there are inodes on the filesystem that have 0 link count, but
have not yet been cleared, this means the person managed to press
the reset button just in time.  I would hope we don't spoil their
good luck in this case.

--
Dan.