Subject: Re: Increasing SHMMAXPGS
To: Gary Thorpe <gat7634@hotmail.com>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/17/2002 20:12:10
Gary Thorpe wrote:
> >why can't this be changable with sysctl ?
>
> Does NetBSD use the traditional UNIX/BSD way of using fixed-size tables for
> resource management?

Not anymore for most of kernel stuff 'tables'[*].

> How would this be turned into something changeable a
> run-time?

Obviously, change the appropriate kernel code to cope if the value
is changed during runtime :)

> Is it may be possible to have more SysV shared memory In THE SYSTEM than a
> single process could map into its address space?

I don't think so. This is not needed on 64bit archs, and we don't
currently support Intel's PSE36.

Jaromir

 [*] In apostrophes since most of kernel structures are linked lists
     nowadays.
--
Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org> http://www.NetBSD.org/Ports/i386/ps2.html