Subject: Re: FFS reliability problems
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/16/2002 21:49:29
On Wed, May 15, 2002 at 03:22:24PM -0700, Greywolf wrote:

> On Wed, 15 May 2002, der Mouse wrote:
>
> # When I tried fsck with deliberately orphaned inodes with nonzero size
> # (I used clri on the containing directory), it put them in lost+found.
>
> Well, that'll teach me not to put in what went by, but I was so
> incredulous myself at having seen it that I didn't catch it all.
>
> "Oh, for a scrollable wscons!"
>
> It looked kind of like
>
> UNREF FILE I=NNNN OWNER=greywolf MODE=100644 SIZE=664299 MTIME= some date
> (CLEARING)
>
> when it all went by.

Did you use softdep ? If so the problem may be more there (or in interraction
between softdeps and fsck) than fsck itself. A file with refcount==0 has to
be cleared, not reconnected. If was not present in the filesystem tree
at the time of the crash, it just happended to be still open after being
deleted.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>