Subject: Re: FFS reliability problems
To: Greywolf <>
From: Manuel Bouyer <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/16/2002 21:49:29
On Wed, May 15, 2002 at 03:22:24PM -0700, Greywolf wrote:
> On Wed, 15 May 2002, der Mouse wrote:
> # When I tried fsck with deliberately orphaned inodes with nonzero size
> # (I used clri on the containing directory), it put them in lost+found.
> Well, that'll teach me not to put in what went by, but I was so
> incredulous myself at having seen it that I didn't catch it all.
> "Oh, for a scrollable wscons!"
> It looked kind of like
> UNREF FILE I=NNNN OWNER=greywolf MODE=100644 SIZE=664299 MTIME= some date
> when it all went by.

Did you use softdep ? If so the problem may be more there (or in interraction
between softdeps and fsck) than fsck itself. A file with refcount==0 has to
be cleared, not reconnected. If was not present in the filesystem tree
at the time of the crash, it just happended to be still open after being

Manuel Bouyer <>