Subject: Re: CFR: The Auto-Generation Block/Character Device Switch Tables
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Darren Reed <darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/16/2002 23:11:44
In some email I received from der Mouse, sie wrote:
> > Then again, does it really matter if the major number for
> > /dev/console is 1048219 or /dev/wd1a has a major number of 390342 ?
> > So long as MAKEDEV knows what they areit shouldn't be a problem,
> > right ?
>
> And once again we see the "people shouldn't administer their systems,
> they should just run our scripts and hope our idea of TRT matches what
> they want" attitude.

Tell me, do you care what inode number /etc/passwd has ?  Or /root ?
What difference does it make if the major number for a device is X or Y ?
Is there any real value in it or is it just pleasing the asthetics of
a particular group of people ?  Why do I need to spend time worrying
about what major number a device when building a system as opposed to
worrying about tightening down the system from hackers ?

If you completely constructed /dev by hand, you might have some merit
in your "people shouldn't administer their systems" line.  I doubt you
(or anyone, for that matter) has ever done it completely by hand - AND
nor should they (ever) have to.

We do not need to (or want, I hope) live in the dark ages of computing,
forever.  All this is meant to be about making life easier (including
administration), not harder.

Darren