Subject: Re: CFR: The Auto-Generation Block/Character Device Switch Tables
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Darren Reed <darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/16/2002 23:19:02
In some email I received from Greywolf, sie wrote:
> On Thu, 16 May 2002, Darren Reed wrote:
>
> # knows what they areit shouldn't be a problem, right ?  I mean people don't
> # go doing "mknod /dev/console c 0 0" (or whatever) just because they've
> # memorized that, do they, in times of emergencies ?
>
> You do know that sweeping generalisations are bad, right?

Of course.  Do you think that is going to stop me making them ?  No :-)
(Just check out my other email on this :-)

btw, I have done the above but only because I didn't think of using
MAKEDEV instead (or didn't know how to, correctly).  It's also not
the sort of thing I think I should need to do and I'm annoyed that
it is necessary.  Then again, I'm not sure I've seen the perfect
answer, anywhere and I don't expect it to appear in NetBSD any time
soon, either.

That said, I really don't find there's lot to be said in support of
MAKEDEV.  If you were to start over again, with /dev, what would you
do and how would you do it ?

Darren