Subject: Re: scsibus capabilities.
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/15/2002 10:29:54
At 10:29 AM 5/15/2002, eeh@netbsd.org wrote:

>| Analagous to the pcibus_attach_hook in the MI pci code, I'd
>| to propose that a scsibus_attach_hook be added.
>
>What's the scsibus_attach_hook() good for?  What goes in?
>What comes out?  What do you expect to be able to do with
>it?
>
>| This would be a function in the scsipi_channel structure that
>| if non-null would be called in scsiconf.c:scsibusattach().
>|
>| The reason for asking for this is that I'm writing a driver
>| for a new SCSI HBA which is fronted by a embedded processor
>| (like an I2O IOP but not an I2O IOP) and it presents an
>| abstracted HBA interface to the host driver.  It also tells
>| things about each SCSI bus (SE, LVD, HVD, FC) that really
>| should be printed and/or obtained in the scsibusattach.
>|
>| The alternative would be to add a chan_cap field to the
>| scsipi_channel and various SCSIBUS_CAP_ bits to describe the
>| capability of the channels and then let scsibusattach print
>| those out.
>
>So you just want to print out some extra goop?  Is there some
>reason you want this done in the SCSI attach code rather than
>the HBA driver?

Because the stuff are attributes of the scsibus, not the HBA.
Logically in our config system they be printed out as part of
scsibus attachment.  Also, I may have dozens of buses attached
and as such it'd be real confusing to print this at independently.
Also, since scsibus attachment is defered it makes it hard to
match up.