Subject: Re: CFR: The Auto-Generation Block/Character Device Switch Tables
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
From: Darren Reed <darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/15/2002 22:07:16
In some email I received from Bill Studenmund, sie wrote:
> On Tue, 14 May 2002, Darren Reed wrote:
>
> > In some email I received from Bill Studenmund, sie wrote:
> > [...]
> > > If it's about MAKEDEV, please do if you can. That'd be cool as it would
> > > further reduce the number of places we have to keep major numbers (and the
> > > number of places we can get them out of sync).
> >
> > I wonder, if you could setup /dev in /emul for things like Solaris, SunOS4,
> > Linux, etc, would you be able to break free from having major/minor numbers
> > based around being "backward compatible" and go for a single, unified,
> > major number listing for all ports ?
>
> Maybe. Doing something like that would let us pick our own major numbers
> whereever we wanted. We would have to make sure our major numbers avoided
> all of the vendor ones we emulated, since we can't tell where the device
> node was that was opened.

Hmmm, that's not as convienient as I hoped it would be.

But won't netscape being run (say) under solaris emulation try and open
/emul/dev/sd0c first, before /dev/sd0c ?  Couldn't you have a per-emulation
table to map major numbers from one to another ?  The problem might be how
to get emul information that far down, if this was a good idea.

Darren