Subject: Re: mandatory vnops and vfsops
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/14/2002 17:58:31
Bill Studenmund wrote:
> > Well, I think it would be better to add hooks to irix_sys_fchmod()
> > rather than definining new fileops.
> > What is that fchmod() for BTW? Is it some kind of replacement of
> > BSD revoke(2)?
>
> It's chmod, but it acts on the vnode of a file you have open. No path
> lookup needed.

Gee, I realize that :)

I wanted to know what the IRIX libc is expecting the chmod to do,
and wondered if the fchmod() wouldn't actually do equivalent
of revoke or something. I don't quite understand what might
be the intent of fchmod() on the cloner device otherwise.

Jaromir
--
Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org> http://www.NetBSD.org/Ports/i386/ps2.html