Subject: Re: semaphore
To: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
From: Olaf Seibert <rhialto@polderland.nl>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/05/2002 21:06:57
On Thu 21 Mar 2002 at 11:46:27 -0500, Andrew Brown wrote:
> >I thought one purpose of the newlock branch was (among other things)
> >about improving the API to our locking primitives.  At least for folks
> >who don't speak dutch, semaphores typically have a *HORRID* API.
> >Which operation is "p" and which one is "v" again?
>
> hmm...i don't remember either.
>
> 	% dict semaphore
> 	     P and V stand for Dutch "Proberen", to test, and "Verhogen",
> 	     to increment.  The value of a semaphore is the number of units

Really? They tought me it was "Passeren" and "Vrijgeven" (pass and
release). That seems to make more sense anyway, given the traditional
depiction with the 8-shaped railroad tracks.

-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert - rhialto@polder    -- Ah only did well at school
\X/ land.nl       -- tae git intae an O level class tae git away fae Begbie.