Subject: Patch review for mouse console support
To: None <>
From: Julio Merino <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/01/2002 11:35:00

Hi all

I've got a patch for wscons to get mouse support in console. It may still
have some problems (as one with blinking text) that I have to solve. So,
this patch is _not_ ready for commiting, sure.

I would like you to review it and tell me if I'm doing things The Right
Way (TM) or if I need to change some things on design. Just to
say that the new wsmoused I'm writting (completly from scratch) is
working very well with this patch :) (note that I'm not experienced in
kernel coding so I may have done this badly)...

Some notes:

1) As it is done now the patch will only work on systems with pcdisplay
   (i386 only?)... well, I haven't found a better way to retrive
   (and write) screen characters. Although, the wsdisplay_char structure
   I've written tries to be MI, so porting mouse support to other
   platforms would mean rewritting only two functions (the ones found in

2) To enable these functions you have to include WSDISPLAY_CHARFUNCS to the
   kernel config, so people who feels that they may be insecure (screen
   snooping) can safely disable them.

Well, and the patch:

I'm waiting your comments :)

Thank you.