Subject: Re: Ioctl to write to a screen
To: None <>
From: Julio Merino <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/01/2002 00:21:33

On Tue, Apr 30, 2002 at 05:51:27PM -0400, der Mouse wrote:
> > Is it there one available now?  If not, I will add a
> > WSDISPLAYIO_WRITECHAR (or something) that will do that.
> I suggest you look into TIOCSTI.  I'm not sure it will be quite what
> you want, but it's probably at least vaguely close.

Ok, as I have seen, it seems suitable but it has one problem. To call
the ioctl I need to pass a file descriptor, and if I'm ok, it is the
one for the tty I want to write to. So I should open /dev/ttyE0, for

But I can't do this. I need to write to the active console, no matter
which one it is. For now, I only open /dev/ttyEcfg and work with
ioctl's on it, which do not depend on a concrete console.

So should I go on and create a new ioctl for this? Or is it there a
way to get this one working (TIOCSTI)?

Thank you.

> /~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
> \ / Ribbon Campaign
>  X  Against HTML
> / \ Email!	     7D C8 61 52 5D E7 2D 39  4E F1 31 3E E8 B3 27 4B

Of course it runs NetBSD -
HispaBSD member -
Julio Merino <>

Comment: For info see