Subject: Re: mkdir with trailing / (patch proposed)
To: NetBSD Userlevel Technical Discussion List <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/30/2002 12:49:15
[ On Tuesday, April 30, 2002 at 12:40:20 (-0400), Matthew Orgass wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: mkdir with trailing / (patch proposed)
>
>   The following patches should now be a complete fix to this problem.
> Trailing slashes are always allowed on Linux and SYSV; I don't know if any
> others need it (ibcs2?).

I really don't like this patch.  Fixing this behaviour for emulation
only is not a fix -- it's a bad hack to work around the problem.

To date there's been no valid reason stated as to why this should not be
fixed properly once and for all in the same way it's always been
implemented and documented for all unix and other unix-like systems.

At the very least this "feature" should be a sysctl that defaults to the
standards mandated behaviour.

--
								Greg A. Woods