Subject: Re: proposed re-work / unification of boot block installation
To: Luke Mewburn <lukem@wasabisystems.com>
From: None <cgd@broadcom.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/30/2002 08:08:51
At Tue, 30 Apr 2002 10:03:38 +0000 (UTC), "Luke Mewburn" wrote:
>   | cannot include MD header files under /usr/include/machine.
>   | We can include it like:
>   | > #include "../../sys/arch/news68k/include/bbinfo.h"
>   | but it is a bit ugly.
>
> That also doesn't work when a user doesn't have a full copy of
> usr/src/sys/arch, which is a supported configuration.  (I've already
> been down that route.)

This had been discussed briefly before, but nobody stepped up to try
to implement it.  And, of course, it's a bit off-topic.

it might be Better if:

* all ports includes were always installed in /usr/include.  (or at
  least, all ports of the same $(MACHINE_ARCH), though in this case
  that doesn't make life better), and

* 'machine' pointed to the generic $(MACHINE_ARCH) headers, so that by
  default compiling on a given $(MACHINE_ARCH), you'd have to go out
  of your way (i.e., by explicitly including something from
  $(MACHINE)) to get really-machine-dependent headers.

(That, by the way, would make the notion of building 'real'
distributions from source tree w/ partially-populated sys/arch,
something that couldn't happen.  I dunno if that's a bug though.  In
any case, I think "partially populated source tree" is a very special
case, and should probably be handled specially...  i.e., check to see
if sys/arch/$(MACHINE) is there before including the file for that
machine.)

cgd