Subject: Re: mkdir with trailing / (patch proposed)
To: Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/28/2002 15:34:03
[ On Monday, April 29, 2002 at 04:19:42 (+0900), Izumi Tsutsui wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: mkdir with trailing / (patch proposed)
>
> In article <20020428191024.GA558@darkstar.local>
> jmmv@hispabsd.org wrote:
>
> > > I'd say just it is not a bug. I have no idea if we should support it,
> > > but it depends on our policy.
> >
> > But why is it so bad to allow it? Other systems do...
>
> Because we are NetBSD, not Linux (or something else).

Allowing any number of trailing slashes on directory names in all
positions in all contexts has been a "requirement" of _UNIX_
compatability since the dawn of UNIX (see John Lions book with the V6
source and commentary, for example).  Not following this history is,
IMNSHO, a bad thing, regardless of what one standard or another might
allow us to get away with, and regardless of what other unix-like
systems do today.

--
								Greg A. Woods