Subject: Re: Breaking binary compatibility for /dev/joy
To: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <jaromir.dolecek@artisys.cz>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/18/2002 10:46:54
> If you're going to break binary compatibility, why not re-engineer
> it right and have a button struct and a linked list of them in the
> joystick struct rather than have to break binary compatibility every
> time someone decides they want to support devices with more buttons?
> (I'm sure I've seen joysticks with more than four buttons.)

Except the hardware (joystick port) doesn't support more than two axes
and four buttons AFAIK :)

Then there are USB joysticks, which can have arbitrary number of stuff -
they are just HIDs. Those are not hooked via joy(4) tho, all USB HID
devices (be it joysticks or not) are driven via uhid(4).

Jaromir
--
Jaromir Dolecek <jaromir.dolecek@artisys.cz>
ARTISYS, s.r.o., Stursova 71, 61600 Brno, Czech Republic