Subject: Re: Breaking binary compatibility for /dev/joy
To: None <>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/17/2002 15:15:07

On Tue, Apr 16, 2002 at 09:09:45PM -0300, Jared D. McNeill wrote:
> Would anybody horribly mind if I broke binary compatibility for
> applications that use /dev/joy*?
> I've added 4-button support to the analog joystick driver, but that
> required adding two more items to struct joystick (for the two extra
> buttons).
> Current applications should still be source compatible.
> Any objections?

If you're going to break binary compatibility, why not re-engineer
it right and have a button struct and a linked list of them in the
joystick struct rather than have to break binary compatibility every
time someone decides they want to support devices with more buttons?
(I'm sure I've seen joysticks with more than four buttons.)

gabriel rosenkoetter

Comment: For info see