Subject: Re: Breaking binary compatibility for /dev/joy
To: Lennart Augustsson <>
From: Perry E. Metzger <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/17/2002 13:30:52
Lennart Augustsson <> writes:
> > I was under the impression that we did have a ujoy driver, and that it
> > supported more than 2 buttons. I guess I was wrong ;)

> There is no ujoy driver, nor do I think there should be.  There is
> and uhid driver that handles all kinds of Human Interface Devices,
> joysticks being one of many.

The only reason I mentioned it was the vague question of software
compatibility with old joystick-using programs. That doesn't mean it
is necessarily the right solution. There might not even be enough
joystick using programs to make a difference.

What does Linux do? In general, we'll be stealing their commercial
software, such as it is.

Perry E. Metzger
NetBSD: The right OS for your embedded design.