Subject: Re: Breaking binary compatibility for /dev/joy
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@wasabisystems.com>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/17/2002 09:35:33
On Wed, Apr 17, 2002 at 10:32:25AM -0400, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

 > I would suggest that you post a proposal for the new interface so that
 > people can get an idea of whether they think it is one that will last
 > without having to be rev'ed again. I'd also suggest checking what
 > other OSes (FreeBSD, Linux) do for this, so we don't become mindlessly
 > software incompatible. It is reasonable to be incompatible if there is
 > cause, but it is not useful to be incompatible gratuitously.

It seems that the right thing to do here is to invent a new "wsjoy"
device for wscons, which has all the features we need.  wsjoy could be
self-describing (an ioctl for "tell me how many buttons you have, and
how many control axis you have", or something).

Then the ISA/PCI joystick and USB joystick and Dreamcast game controller
drivers would be back-ends for wsjoy, much like pms, mms, etc. are back-ends
for wsmouse.