Subject: Re: Breaking binary compatibility for /dev/joy
To: Jared D. McNeill <jmcneill@invisible.ca>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/17/2002 10:32:25
I would suggest that you post a proposal for the new interface so that
people can get an idea of whether they think it is one that will last
without having to be rev'ed again. I'd also suggest checking what
other OSes (FreeBSD, Linux) do for this, so we don't become mindlessly
software incompatible. It is reasonable to be incompatible if there is
cause, but it is not useful to be incompatible gratuitously.

(BTW, why wouldn't USB joysticks end up with a /dev/ujoy with a
similar interface? I don't understand your USB comment.)

--
Perry E. Metzger		perry@wasabisystems.com