Subject: Re: lazy mlock?
To: Jason R Thorpe <>
From: David Laight <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/17/2002 00:31:27
On Tue, Apr 16, 2002 at 04:13:27PM -0700, Jason R Thorpe wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 16, 2002 at 11:48:32PM +0100, David Laight wrote:
>  > If it isn't a silly question, why should ntpd 'lock down' any code at all?
> Because it is very sensitve to being able to react to a message.  Making
> it wait to page in something will skew its results.

So will network delays, paging in U and/or P areas etc....

If latency is that important (and it were solaris or SVR4), I would
push a streams module onto the UDP? stream and respond from within
the kernel.

In any case, I presume that the active part of nptd could be 1
page each code, data, stack + U area (p + lwp)

David Laight: